Saturday 9: Crazy Little Thing Called Love (1980)
… because Diana suggested Queen
Unfamiliar with this week’s tune? Hear it here.
1) In this video, Queen lead singer Freddie Mercury is wearing a leather jacket. Do you have a leather jacket?Nope–I did once when I was little, but then we moved. Also, when living in the desert, while it might look cool it would be hot as hell. Now that I don’t maybe I’ll by one again.
2) There’s a statue of Freddie in Switzerland. There’s another statue of him above the Dominion Theater in London. Tell us about a statue or memorial in your town.
3) Mercury said this song was inspired by Elvis Presley. What’s your favorite Elvis song?
Can’t help falling in love
4) This song was covered by the animated Alvin and the Chipmunks. Do you still watch cartoons?
Yep–I don’t care how old I get, I will still enjoy watching cartoons. They are simpler (sometimes) and fun.
5) The members of Queen met while attending Ealing Art College in London. Are you still in touch with the friends you had in your late teens and early 20s?
Yes–though I cannot remember anyone I met at college that I am still friends with. I thinks that’s a little sad.
6) During Queen’s hey day in the 1980s, Mercury stayed in shape with tennis and swimming. Are you more accomplished on the court or in the pool?I can swim, but just barely. I like tennis and before I stopped playing I was an ok play-I like to play but don’t have the passion to demolish my competition.
7) In 1980, when this song was popular, Brooke Shields made a jeans commercial where she said, “Nothing comes between me and Calvins.” It actually only aired for a short time because so many viewers called and complained about it. Have you ever called or emailed to protest something you saw on TV?
No–I just stopped watching it. And then netflix was born and you know the rest…
8) 1980 is also the year the Post-It note was introduced. What’s the last Post-It you wrote?
I can’t say. Hippa Laws forbid it.
9) Random question: Do you blush easily?